Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Another Tragic Loss

Cabby died last night. Cabby was a cat that Christina rescued from the feral-cat colony she took care of for years. Cabby lost an eye at an early age and developed kidney disease about five years ago, so it can be seen as a miracle that he lived to be 13.

Christina, of course, is more deeply hurt than I am because Christina knew Cabby so much better.... they were together for so much longer. Her animals are part of her family.

She is still mourning the death of her father in November and the death of her dog Lacy last month. I have done what I could, but could not do enough.

Cabby will be cremated and his ashes will be kept in my house (inappropriately named "Doghouse") next to Lacy's ashes and near the ashes of Zooey and Cosmo.

No life has a happy ending. There are no happy endings. But Cabby was a sweet and happy cat.

When a person or an animal dies, we look backwards, and happy memories make us sad. When a person or an animal comes into our lives, we may be joyful, but we cannot know what the future may hold.

Christina and I will miss Cabby. All living things are special, but Cabby was very special to us.

P.S. Thanks to all of you who responded to my plea for help. Thank you for caring.

No comments:

About Bill

Divorced, but in a committed relationship with Christina... and we're trying to figure out how she can move in with me. Living in a house named Doghouse with two dogs, Clyde and Luna, who are both Australian-shepherd mixes I got through Austin Aussie Rescue. Working freelance, but looking for a full-time job. I've worked for many mags: STEREO REVIEW, LEISURE TIME ELECTRONICS, CAR AUDIO AND ELECTRONICS, A/V INTERIORS, CAR STEREO REVIEW, MOBILE ELECTRONICS, and more.